Saturday, August 14, 2010

Normalcy

Sometimes I think that normalcy is an arbitrary scale. That everyone thinks of themselves as unique, when in reality almost everyone is completely ordinary. Sometimes I think that I've deluded myself by assuming I'm strange at all.

... Then I remember that I paint the flags of different countries on my fingernails, put cocktail umbrellas in my caprison, and memorize information on Lithuania, quantum physics, and mental disorders in my free time.

Side note- 16% of all people in Lithuanians are born naturally resistant to HIV and AIDS.

Still though, it's worth thinking about. Recently (well not so recently. Last school year. Recent in comparison to, say, the time humanity has spent on Earth) I had a pair of teachers who assigned us an essay on how we see ourselves in comparison to how other people see us.

To research this people starting circulating anonymous sheets saying "What do you think of Jennifer" and "Describe Anthony", ect. A funny thing happened.

Every sheet called the person smart and unique.

As it happens, no one actually described me. I got a list of adjectives. But "smart" "intelligent" "knowledgeable" "unique" "weird" "strange" "freaky- in a good way!!" were all used multiple times.

A couple people also said "wears hats alot". Come on, really? You have to summarize my entire existence, and you say I wear hats a lot? Besides, a lot is two words! Honestly, people these days.

Right, back on topic. Not everyone can be out of the ordinary, but every individual you look at seems to be. Why? Are we afraid to see monotony? Is the problem that humanity, a species long obsessed with discovering familiar patterns in the world around us, doesn't wish to see the patterns emerging from within our own ranks?

On a brighter note, I'm doing a self improvement stint known as the Drok Plan. Born from individual lack of motivation and a typing error.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you.

    A lot of people are obsessed with individuality and are unwilling to believe that most people could be placed into a category with large amounts of other people.

    Some of the finer details may vary, but people are amusingly similar on a lot of levels.

    Good times!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like our advertisement there at the end.

    ReplyDelete