Saturday, June 5, 2010

Mike- Tu nombre es un pregunto!

Yesterday my friends started discussing what we would want to name our children, should we get old and choose to have some.

This is an incredibly fun way to spend time. I know a girl with every intention of naming her first born Mariadock and Paragrin her second. I love my nerd friends. Another friend wants a boy named Xavier for no reason other than the fact that any name beginning with X is awesome.

I said that though I'm a celibate who hasn't had a XY born into her family for... Uh... Ever actually. Like, you can trace the family tree back and nothing but girls have been born. The guys are always married in, and then their wives have daughters who marry and have daughters.

But if I had a son, somehow (Omaigawsh, virgin birth?) I said I would name him Ashely, because Ashely was originally a boys name and it is so unfeminine. People started jumping in to say the Joshua be a girls name...

Makes me think about BabyNames.com, places like that. You would not believe how many names actually mean things like "God is Gracious" (Joe, John, Jane, Janet, Janice, Janette, ect) and "Who is like God?" (Micheal. The answer is supposedly that no man is like God. And yet it's thought to be good Christian name. When Christianty centers around a man who they think is like God. Huh.) It seems so strange that we look at babies, something we created, whose survival is stringent on us, and think of our Gods. Is it because we are reminded of our own vulnerability before Zeus and Thor and Jehovah and whoever else, or because we have doubts in our faith?

Or, you know, because we are a species of suck ups. Seriously our ancestors were that insecure? Naming their kids that? Can't they just hang a sign round their own necks saying "Please don't smite me mister God, I fully regret doing the nasty,"? I mean really. Now it's a tradition. How any Mike be sure of his identity when his name is actually a question I may never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment