Thursday, June 3, 2010

"Music equals Life"- Well, actually...

I really like music. But here's the thing-

EVERYONE DOES.

The tee shirts and icons and buttons saying "music is my life" and "I <3 music" were cute at first, but now they're just annying. And they're multiplying.

Liking music doesn't make you cool, and it doesn't make you emo. It makes you normal. It's completly typical, and not out of the ordinary for anyone in anyway.
"But I like wierd music!" You and most of the people I know.
"But I love music." Uh huh. I can't think of anyone who doesn't.
"But you don't get it. Music is my life." Yeah. I got that.
"No seriously, I'd die without it." No. You'd be sad, but you would definately live. If you commited suicide because you couldn't listen to music, that means that you have psychological imabalances that really have very little to do with music.

This cultural obsession with music is just insane. I don't argue that it should be a part of our lives, but we have a whole generation trying to devote their lives to it alone. Being a singer or a rock star or a guitarist, or whatever- that's not a noble pursuit. It's great if you make people happy with your music, but doctors and lawyers make people happy too.

Actually, we put too much emphasis on being doctors and lawyers as well... The people who work on renovating peoples houses make people really happy. When you walk into a newly finished room and you breath in air that still smells a bit like paint... That's a good feeling. It doesn't "equel life", it just makes people happy.

Really, isn't living a happy life more important? If you think your life is awful and you listen to nothing but depressing music, it'll seems like it is all that your life is- but your life is more important then a bunch of sad songs.

Live and be happy, and listen to lots of songs along the way. But don't say your life is nothing but the music.

By the way, I had a concert today. I sang pretty well, considering.

3 comments:

  1. I agree on the whole "I'd die without it" scenarios and all the merchandise and things that come from it.
    Music is something that ALL people share, and it is something that we all love, even if we only listen to the beating of another's heart.

    ... Can you tell I got calls from publishers before typing this? I'm poetically nervous to write anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congradulations! What's being published where?

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrads? Todl you english was fail.

    And I'm just looking, but I'm thinking about self-publishing at Author House.
    But it costs lotsa moneys :(

    ReplyDelete